Thursday, July 7, 2011

Back from the East Coast....

on the road to NJ



Some of you know that I was going on vacation to visit my beloved dad who lives in New Jersey. I was so excited about seeing him. I absolutely adore him and miss him so much. He just turned 91 years old and is to vivacious and full of life.

still on the road to NJ


The trip to NJ was quite long. I stopped in Youngstown, Ohio to have lunch with an old friend (hmmm). We ate at Perkins. I had not eaten at a Perkins Restaurant since I lived in Iowa back in 1986. The food, or rather my meal was not too good.

friend and I at Perkins eating lunch


On Friday, dad and I ran around town picking up a few things that he needed since the 4th of July was a holiday. YES..we went to Home Depot and also got groceries at ShopRite. I was so amazed at how many different products they have in NJ that we do not have in MI. For example, Oreos come in so many different flavors. I bought the ice cream berry flavor. It tastes just like strawberry ice cream. Yummy. I purchased a few things like a bag of Nature Valley crunchy treats. Very good indeed.
We had our Chinese to go dinner from the Chinese take out downtown Englewood. I had the BBQ rib combo and dad had the shrimp egg foo young combo.

Dad at his home in NJ



Saturday was marvellous. My best friend since birth drove up from Upper Marlboro Md. She really is my sister even though we were born of different moms. Denvia and I ran over to see Blanche at Beads by Blanche in Bergenfield. Denvia had never been exposed to my beading adventures and was quite amazed at all the beading delights. I took Denvia and my dad out for birthday dinner at the Cheesecake Factory. Angie warned me!  Denvia spent the night and like old times we talked until we feel asleep.
finally made it to NJ at about 8 pm but still have 70 miles to go


Sunday we all woke up and prayed together. Dad believes in praying for his girls before we leave home on our journeys back to our residences. We prayed for Denvia and her son. I teared up as we sent her on her way. She is such a wonderful person. Dad and I just relaxed all day.
I may not be where I am going but I sure am glad to be out of Pennsylvania. I have already driven about 600 miles.


Monday was the holiday. We relaxed and cooked dinner. I did some bead work until my eyes started to go blurry with strain. I packed the car and headed for bed about 9:30pm.

Tuesday morning I got up at 5:30 to get ready for my drive back to Michigan. Dad and I talked about the new business I am starting and then he prayed over my life, future, business and safe trip home. I kissed him and teared up. As I pulled out of the driveway and waved goodbye from the rolling car, I started crying. I do this all the time. I cried about a mile to the gas station and sucked up the tears while the man was pumping my gas. In NJ it is illegal for you to pump your own gas.  Gas was only $3.49 for mid grade. Nice. As I drove off I continued crying. for about 5 more miles.

just crossed over the Delaware River Gap and now in NJ


The drive back seemed so fast. I only stopped 15 minuted to gas up, go to rest room and drive through McDonald's. I listened to a great book on tape that kept me captivated.  When I arrived in Michigan I decided to stop at Craft 2000 and made a few (too many) little purchases. YIKES!

I am there yet?


I arrived home and slept like a baby even though I have no operational air conditioning and the temps were near 100% outside.

1 comment: