Thursday, June 23, 2011

Anatomy of a HSIA one of a kind wearable art piece...


My love for creating one of a kind heirloom wearable art can be seen in each of my pieces. Often people ask me how long it takes to finish a piece of jewelry. I have been known to work on pieces for up to 80 hours depending on the complexity and size of beads.  I love working with size 15 seed beads which are approximately the size of a straight pin head or perhaps the tip of a Bic ink pen. Although very tiny they offer great opportunities to express detail. Using these tiny seed beads means that it takes a great deal of beads and time to create even 1/2 inch of woven designs.


So how do I get started. I decide on a basic color scheme and then go in my many drawers and boxes and containers to pull out various seed beads in all sizes, accent beads, Swarovski crystals, and other elements. I place the beads that I want to use in a tray and/or plastic shoe box.  Next I pour out a few different tubes of beads and start to create.


I take a beading needle, beading thread and start weaving beads together without using a loom. I design as I go, one bead at a time. I am not afraid of making a mistake because in Freeform Beading there are no mistakes.



Below I have woven many pieces that will eventually be layed out and joined together to create a necklace. I have not yet made any final decisions on the final compilation of the pieces. You will see several layouts that could work. Keep in mind that the pieces are not sewn together yet; just placed side by side.


































































































CHECK OUT THE ABOVE WEARABLE ART PAGE FOR FINISHED PIECES





No comments:

Post a Comment